Cleveland Mass Mob XIX
10 a.m. Sunday 22 November 2015
2486 West 14th StreetSaint Augustine began just before the War for the Preservation of the Union. In 1860 it was a mission church, parish status came after the war in 1867. The original church building, though expanded was still too small. In contrast to recent history, a former Protestant church was converted for Catholic use, the old Pilgrim Congregational Church (then called Jennings Road Congregational) begun in 1865 became Saint Augustine's in 1896. The negotiations for sale and purchase took some time, for the trustees and membership, and neighboring Protestant churches did not want to sell to Catholics. Originally the church had a steeple, it was destroyed by lightning and a resultant fire in December of 1918.
|St. Augustine c.1896-1918|
|Christ of the Breadlines (after Fritz Eichenberg), in the basement dining room|
|June 26th 2012|